Economic Development Strategy
The University of Virginia advances economic prosperity through high-impact engagement with companies, communities, localities, non-profits, and education partners. As we begin our third century, we reaffirm our commitment to service to the Commonwealth by setting a strategy for elevating economic impact through new, proactive initiatives and goals. Explore our strategy for amplifying economic impact across Virginia.
See a graphical depiction of our focused, proactive economic development efforts across Virginia. This strategy map is a work in progress and subject to change to meet evolving priorities and resources.
Across the Commonwealth
Preparing the Virginia Workforce for the Digital Future
Address unmet educational and training needs
Center for K12 Computing Education and Digital Literacy
- Professional development for teachers to integrate coding and other skills along with an additional repository of vetted computer science curricular materials
Partnering to create high-performing school systems.
- Answers important questions of educational policy, as identified by schools that will build a new generation of education leaders who can drive meaningful change
Recruiting new business to Virginia.
- Partner with state, regional, and local economic development organizations to enhance recruiting initiatives, e.g., Amazon HQ2
In Central Virginia
The University is growing an entrepreneurial ecosystem in Central Virginia by:
Investing in early-stage companies.
- UVA provides programming, venture grants, and pre-seed funding to start-up companies. Additional programs and funding sources are currently in development.
Investing in small to medium enterprises.
- The Office of Economic Development leverages UVA assets to support emerging industry clusters. The office also supports GO Virginia projects related to entrepreneurship and innovation.
Investing in mature companies.
In Southwest Virginia
The University is partnering with UVA-Wise to support flourishing communities in Southwest Virginia by:
Creating a UVA Health Clinic in Wise, Virginia.
- This facility provides access to specialty care in an area where these services are otherwise unavailable. A nurse practitioner program at UVA-Wise is under development and consideration. The program will combat a provider shortage in the area.
- Discussions with leaders in Southwest Virginia are underway for the development of a K20 Education Blueprint that will help establish a road map and strategy for creating and delivering digital literacy curricula across the region.
In Northern Virginia
The University is catalyzing the tech economy by:
Developing a UVA presence in Northern Virginia.
- Through a partnership with INOVA, research in personalized medicine, cyber security, and data analytics will elevate the patient and partner institution experience and provide solutions to big challenges.
Providing executive education programs.
- UVA offers education opportunities for working professionals by extending graduate programs within the Darden School of Business, the McIntire School of Commerce, the Data Science Institute, and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies to professionals in the Northern Virginia region. Additionally, a regional campus of the UVA School of Medicine provides education opportunities for health professionals in the area.
Moving the Greater Washington Project forward.
- UVA is a partner in making the National Capital Region - from Richmond to Baltimore - one of the world's best places to live, work, and build a business.